1. Flame cleaning is a method of removing:
a. Paint coatings
2. Which of the following would be the most likely cause of saponification?
a. Applying emulsion paint to an alkaline surface
b. Applying latex paint to an alkaline surface
c. Applying oil-based eggshell to an alkaline surface
d. Applying adhesives to an alkaline surface
3. Painted timber surfaces should be abraded:
a. With the grain
b. Against the grain
d. None of the above
4. What is the name of the defect formed on the surface during the production of steel?
c. Mill scale
5. Which of the following does not contribute to corrosion?
6. Which of the following primers is not suitable for use on metal surfaces?
b. Zinc phosphate
d. Etch primer
7. The most suitable method of protecting a floor when removing wallpaper using a steam stripper would be:
a. Cotton dust sheets
b. Masking tape and paper
c. Plastic sheeting
8. Which one of the following should not be used in a damp atmosphere?
a. Pneumatic orbital sander
b. Liquid petroleum gas
c. Electric orbital sander
d. Pneumatic needle gun
9. A water-based paint applied over silicone bathroom sealant is most likely to result in the defect known as:
c. Orange peel
10. ARP would be best suited as a primer coat for:
a. Plaster surfaces to be papered
b. Plaster surfaces to be finished in an oil paint
c. Plaster surfaces to receive a textured finish
d. Plaster surfaces to be finished in matt emulsion
11. Which of the following metals requires priming immediately after preparation?
d. Galvanised steel
12. Nail heads protruding from the surface of softwood architraves and skirting boards should be:
a. Punched below the surface, filled and knotted
b. Punched below the surface, primed and filled
c. Punched level with the surface, stopped up and primed
d. Punched below the surface, knotted and filled
13. Paint coatings should be completely removed if showing signs of which two defects:
a. Cissing and crazing
b. Wrinkling and flashing
c. Saponification and grinning
d. Crazing and wrinkling
14. Painted surfaces can often be affected by mould growths, especially if exposed to which one of the following conditions?
a. Dark areas
15. The use of an electrical orbital sander at work is covered by which regulations?
16. Which one of the following statements is correct
a. Timber is seasoned to prevent resin exudation
b. Timber is seasoned to prevent discoloration
c. Timber is seasoned to prevent insect infestation
d. Timber is seasoned to prevent warping
17. Which two substances can be used to seal knots in timber?
a. Shellac and methylated spirit
b. ARP and shellac
c. Shellac and aluminium wood primer
d. Universal primer and shellac
18. Which one of the following is not a cause of bittiness in a finished paint coating?
a. Contaminated application tools
b. Atmospheric dust
c. Contaminated paint
d. Atmospheric moisture
19. State the best method of removing contract vinyl wall coverings from a stairwell.
a. Steam stripper and stepladders
b. Scaffold, dry stripping and wetting in
c. Scaffold and steam stripper
d. Ladder, scoring and wetting in
20. Which of the following abrasives contains bauxite?
a. Tungsten carbide
b. Garnet paper
c. Aluminium oxide
d. Silicone carbide