Each question in this quiz is timed.
Click the button below to start the quiz.
1. Why has the European Union called for dramatic cuts in carbon dioxide and greenhouse gas emissions ?
As global warming is not an issue of concern
As the temperatures may rise almost by an additional one degree and this may lead to severe climate change
As the NCAR has forced the European Union to announce the cuts
As all the nations have decided to cut emissions of carbon dioxide
None of these
2. What would not be one of the impacts of cutting greenhouse gas emissions ?
Temperatures will stop soaring
Ice in the Arctic sea would melt at a slower pace
The rise in sea level would be lesser
All of the above would be the impact
3. What would be the impact of holding the carbon dioxide level at 450 ppm at the end of this century ?
1. Global temperatures would increase by 0•6 degrees Celcius.
2. Arctic warming would be reduced by half.
3. Thermal expansion will stop completely.
Only 1 and 2
Only 2 and 3
All the three 1, 2 and 3
4. What does the scientist Warren Washington mean when he says "we could stabilize the threat of climate change" ?
Climate change can be stopped completely
Climate change can be regularized
Climate change and its effects can be studied extensively
The ill-effects of the change in climate can be minimized
5. Why did Washington and his colleagues conduct a series of studies ?
Because they realized that the temperature increase was almost about 1 degree
So that they could stabilize the climate change
So that they could help the European Union in cutting the carbon dioxide emissions
Because they found out that the greenhouse gas emissions could be cut by 70%
6. What would be the impact of unchecked greenhouse gas and carbon dioxide emissions ?
The temperature would rise from the current temperature by 2•2 degrees Celsius
The sea-level would rise by about 5•5 inches
The arctic ice would stabilize by 2100
The arctic ice would reduce by one-fourth
7. What can be the most appropriate title of the above passage ?
A study of the rise in water level
A study of rise in temperatures
A study of the effects of greenhouse gas emissions
A study of the Arctic region
A study of change in seasons
8. Which of the following statements is true in context of the passage ?
At present the carbon dioxide emission is about 284 ppm
The carbon dioxide emissions will be about 450 ppm at the end of this century if unchecked
The carbon dioxide emission was about 380 ppm during the pre-industrial era
The carbon dioxide emissions will be about 750 ppm at the end of this century if unchecked
Directions-(Q. 9–10) Choose the word which is MOST SIMILAR in MEANING to the word printed in bold as used in the passage.