Each question in this quiz is timed.
Click the button below to start the quiz.
1. The reader can infer from Rachel's "Mamasota" comment that Rachel ---
A. thinks Mamacita is fascinating
B. is cruel to new neighbors she does not like
C. makes fun of Mamacita's huge size
D. is jealous of people who have money to ride in a taxi
2. The dominant imagery used to describe Mamacita is that of --
3. By writing"ham and eggs" as hamandeggs, the author shows--
A. how much the father liked the food
B. that the father never learned English
C. the father's past unfamiliarity with English
D. that the father is a vegetarian by choice
4. Mamacita says, "No speak English," to the child because --
A. she wants him to speak Spanish, not English
B. he is learning bad words in English
C. she wants him to know that she cannot understand his English
D. she does not want him to be able to watch TV
5. Which of the following is NOT a detail showing Mamacita's homesickness?
A. Home is a house in a photograph
B. her lavender hatboxes, a dozen boxes of satin high heels
C. sits all day by the window and plays the Spanish radio show
D. Cuando, cuando, cuando?
6. The husband's responses to Mamacita --
A. reflect his resentment that she refuses to lose weight
B. show that he does not want her to mingle with the neighbors
C. hint that she hopes she will die so he can remarry
D. change from sympathetic to impatient