1. People are considered obese when their body weight exceeds the recommended weight for their height by(BLANK) percent.
2. People gain weight when they
Eat high-fat foods
Snack between meals.
Avoid strenuous physical activity.
Consume more calories than they need.
3. How are the terms overweight and obesity used differently?
People who are 1-19 percent above their desired weight are called overweight, while those 20 percent or more above their desired weight are called obese.
All cases of above-desired weight are labeled overweight, while only the most extreme cases are considered obesity.
People are called overweight when their extra weight is in muscle, and obese when their extra Weight is in fat
Both terms mean the same thing.
4. Sandy’s desirable weight is 150 pounds, but she is now about 280. She would be classiﬁed as
5. The body mass index is
Based on popular body images
An age-graded obesity measure
A height/weight index in metric units.
A method of measuring body composition
6. Ashley is 5’1” and weighs 135 pounds. According to the body mass index chart, she is Considered
7. Which of the following is TRUE regarding standardized height/weight tables? They are
An excellent method for determining body composition.
An excellent method for determining obesity.
No longer considered the best way to determine whether body weight is acceptable.
A precise method for determining the amount of adipose tissue.
8. WHR assessment procedure was developed
To accurately measure the proportions of lean tissue to fat tissue.
In response to the growing concern over the rate of obesity in the United States.
As a clinical marker for the treatment of obesity.
In response to the growing concern over the relationship between the amount of fat in the Abdominal cavity and the development of serious health problems.
9. Skinfold measurements, the bod pod, and hydrostatic weighing are all measures of
10. When an individual expends more calories than are taken in, this is referred to as
The thermic effect of food.
Positive caloric balance.
Negative caloric balance.
11. The Bod Pod determines body composition by
Using a nomogram.
Measuring displaced air.
Relating weight to height.
Measuring electrical resistance under the skin.
12. The normal range of body fat for young adult men is percent.
10 to 15
15 to 19
20 to 25
25 to 30
13. Which of the following is FALSE regarding a skinfold measurement?
It is used to calculate the percentage of body fat.
It is a measurement to determine the thickness of the fat layer just under the skin.
Only one key site on the body is necessary to accurately determine the percentage of body fat.
These measurements are taken using a special device known as a caliper.
14. Which of the following methods of body fat measurement involves measuring the thickness of the subcutaneous fat layer?
Dual energy x-ray absorptiometry
15. Which of the following BEST explains the causes of obesity?
Obesity generally occurs among people who lack sufﬁcient leptin output.
Research indicates that genetic makeup is the main cause of most obesity.
Although no deﬁnitive cause is known, it is believed that several factors play a role.
Obesity is the product of overeating and lack of exercise, over which everyone has equal control.
16. Which of the following BEST describes the inﬂuence of genetics on obesity?
Body type is the only known obesity factor that is strongly affected by genetics.
Your genetic makeup determines whether you will be obese.
There are many possible genetic inﬂuences on obesity.
Genetics has little direct inﬂuence on obesity.
17. The body’s appetite controls are mainly located in the
18. The appetite center controls
When you eat.
How much you eat.
How your body uses food.
When you feel hungry or satisﬁed.
19. Which of the following BEST summarizes the set point theory?
Each person has a point beyond which he or she cannot lose weight.
Each person’s body regulates its use of energy to maintain a certain weight range.
The body begins to store fat when eating reaches a certain point.
Once an overweight person has lost weight, it becomes easier to lose more weight up to a certain point.
20. Changes in the body’s metabolic rate due to a lack, or abundance, of calories is known as
21. What is the percentage of people who go on a diet and gain all of their weight back within a year of going off the diet?
22. Is equal to tobacco as a threat to American’s health and disproportionately affects Women of color and lower socioeconomic classes.
23. Many researchers believe that overfed infants become overweight later in life because
They develop more fat cells than infants who are not overfed do.
The heavy calorie load slows down their metabolisms.
Overeating habits are established early in life.
Their fat cells grow in size.
24. According to weight management experts, the single most important factor leading to obesity in The United States is
Family dietary habits.
The mass promotion of junk foods
25. Your body’s energy needs are based on your diet, your activities, and your General health.
Degree of obesity.
26. Consuming about (blank) calories more than is needed results in a weight gain of one pound of fat
27. Why do the body’s energy requirements decrease with age? Because
Basal metabolic rate declines with age.
Older adults are less active than younger adults.
Aging results in the gradual loss of muscle tissue.
Some body systems are no longer required in older adults.
28. Which of the following is NOT related to basal metabolic rate?
29. The amount of energy our bodies require for the digestion, absorption, and transportation of food Is known as the (blank) of food.
30. According to the experts, you should set a goal to lose no more than (BLANK) pounds a week.
31. Effective and lasting weight loss requires
A diet that signiﬁcantly reduces calorie intake.
Going on a diet for a speciﬁc period of time.
Following a diet plan that is restrictive and demanding.
A lifestyle change that includes healthy eating and regular exercise.
32. Which of the following is FALSE regarding a balanced diet supported by portion control‘! It
Is best undertaken with a nutritionist and physicians knowledgeable in diet management.
Is a diet designed to produce rapid weight loss
Reﬂects a nutritionally sound program that offers some probability of success.
Does not force an individual to adopt a restrictive approach to eating.
33. Why is a diet based on portion control a better idea than so-called low-calorie or fad diets?
People can consume more of the foods that they enjoy with portion control.
Portion control diets achieve results more quickly.
Portion control typically cuts more calories from a meal.
Portion control is typically a more rigidly enforced approach.
34. People use fad diets in an attempt to achieve
A gradual weight loss.
A more nutritionally balanced approach to weight loss.
Rapid weight loss.
Making dieting easier and more enjoyable.
35. Dehydration, electrolyte loss, and possible kidney problems are complications associated with which fad diet?
The Atkins Diet
Eating Thin for Life
The New Beverly Hills Diet
36. Many prescription and over-the-counter diet drugs achieve their purpose by
Elevating heart rate.
37. The problem with the over-the-counter appetite suppressant phenylpropanolan1ine (PPA) is
Its association with higher risk of stroke.
It actually stimulates the appetite.
It interferes with digestion for most people.
That research has found it to be ineffective.
38. Which of the following substances was found in many herbal supplements until it was banned in 2003?
39. Gastroplasty achieves its effectiveness as anti-obesity surgery by
Reducing the size of the stomach.
Tightening the muscles around digestive organs.
Shortening the path of food through the digestive tract.
Routing food away from the areas of greatest absorption.
40. A moderately obese, college-age friend of yours wants to try liposuction to solve her problem with obesity. Why is this a bad idea?
Liposuction is cosmetic and not a life-long behavior change.
Liposuction is a high risk procedure compared with others.
Liposuction is more body sculpting than weight loss.
All of the choices are true of liposuction.
41. You are dangerously obese and you are a compulsive eater. The most effective surgical procedure to enable you to lose weight would be
Gastric band surgery.
42. Tim is thin, and he wants to gain weight for football. He does not have an eating disorder. The best way for Tim to proceed would be to
Eat only high-fat foods and lift weights.
Combine a balanced, calorie-dense diet with strength training.
Train twice a day and consume lots of high-calorie foods.
Combine resistance training with an over-the-counter weight gaining supplement.
43. The key to maintaining a healthy weight is
Caloric expenditure through regular exercise.
Regular counseling sessions.
Over-the-counter weight loss products.
44. Which of the following is the most effective tool for eliminating fat from the body?