History of Stoke Newington - Quiz 1 (Feb 2015)

History of Stokey
Quiz by , created over 4 years ago

Created by: Twitter.com/HistoryOfStokey

365
0
0
History of Stokey
Created by History of Stokey over 4 years ago
Hitler and the Nazi Party (1919-23)
Adam Collinge
Using GoConqr to study History
Sarah Egan
Britain and World War 2
Sarah Egan
Bay of Pigs Invasion : April 1961
Alina A
Organic Chemistry
Megan Tarbuck
Weimar Revision
Tom Mitchell
History of Medicine: Ancient Ideas
James McConnell
GCSE History – Social Impact of the Nazi State in 1945
Ben C
Conferences of the Cold War
Alina A

Question 1

Question
Church Street was renamed Stoke Newington Church Street, becoming the longest London street name, in:
Answer
  • 1655
  • 1876
  • 1937

Question 2

Question
Who was the first Lord of the Manor of Stoke Newington?
Answer
  • Thomas Abney
  • William Patten
  • John Dudley

Question 3

Question
Clissold Park was purchased for the public for the sum of:
Answer
  • £96,000
  • £2,500,000
  • £210,000

Question 4

Question
The Metropolitan Borough of Stoke Newington was abolished in:
Answer
  • 1897
  • 1931
  • 1965

Question 5

Question
The Rose & Crown pub was demolished and rebuilt opposite its original location due to street widening in?
Answer
  • 1860
  • 1930
  • 1972

Question 6

Question
Abney Park Cemetery opened in:
Answer
  • 1840
  • 1766
  • 1903

Question 7

Question
The Town Hall on Church Street was completed in:
Answer
  • 1907
  • 1937
  • 1961

Question 8

Question
Stoke Newington High Street was a 2-way road till the:
Answer
  • 1920's
  • 1970's
  • 1890's

Question 9

Question
Carrie Eve became the first woman mayor of the Metropolitan Borough of Stoke Newington in:
Answer
  • 1893
  • 1972
  • 1922

Question 10

Question
The Stoke Newington Pumping Station was built in:
Answer
  • 1954-56
  • 1754-56
  • 1854-56

Question 11

Question
The Clissold Park wooden bandstand was removed in:
Answer
  • 1905
  • 1965
  • 1991

Question 12

Question
The fire station on Church Street was built in:
Answer
  • 1993
  • 1977
  • 1940

Question 13

Question
The bridge over the Hackney Brooke on Stoke Newington High Street was called:
Answer
  • Brooke Bridge
  • Stoke Newington Bridge
  • Stamford Bridge

Question 14

Question
Clissold Park opened to the public in:
Answer
  • 1837
  • 1889
  • 1932

Question 15

Question
Mark Feld (aka Marc Bolan), frontman of glam rock group T. Rex, was born and raised in:
Answer
  • Stoke Newington High Street
  • Stoke Newington Church Street
  • Stoke Newington Common

Question 16

Question
A spire was added to St. Mary's old Church in:
Answer
  • 1829
  • 1654
  • 1783

Question 17

Question
Albion Road was built in:
Answer
  • 1903
  • 1830
  • 1769

Question 18

Question
The row of Georgian houses on Church Street opposite Clissold Park used to be called:
Answer
  • Clissold Row
  • New River Row
  • Paradise Row

Question 19

Question
The New River used to flow along western Church Street till:
Answer
  • 1876
  • 1799
  • 1946

Question 20

Question
In the 1570's The Three Crowns pub on Stoke Newington High Street was called:
Answer
  • The Crown
  • The King's Head
  • Le Rose

Question 21

Question
St. Mary’s new Church was built in:
Answer
  • 1797
  • 1920
  • 1858

Question 22

Question
Abney Park Cemetery was the first nondenominational cemetery in Europe
Answer
  • True
  • False

Question 23

Question
In 1700 the Lord Mayor of London and co-founder of the Bank of England, Sir Thomas Abney, was also the Lord of the Manor of Stoke Newington
Answer
  • True
  • False

Question 24

Question
St. Mary's Old Church is the only remaining church in London from the Elizabethan period:
Answer
  • True
  • False

Question 25

Question
The Metropolitan Borough of Stoke Newington was created in 1923
Answer
  • True
  • False