1.1 1163-1182 : construction of the choir and its double deambulatory.
1.1.1 The first anonymous builder began with a double side aisle plan without a salient transept (the same plan
used in the previous cathedral, Saint Stephen), a four story construction with tribunes, large, 32.5 metre
sexpartite arches, predominantly horizontal lines, original archwork in the curved part of the
deambulatory, alternating “strong” and “weak” pillars between the first and second aisles
2.1 construction of the last three bays in the nave, the side aisles and the tribunes.
3.1 edification of the façade foundation and the first two bays in the nave, connection of the two bays to the
upper façade and the Gallery of Kings.
4 1225-1250 .
4.1 upper gallery and two towers on the façade, modification and expansion of the upper windows and
fitting out the nave side chapels between the flying buttresses’ abutments (fourth builder).
4.1.1 The façade is an imposing, simple and harmonious mass whose strength and sombre grandeur is based on interplay
between vertical and horizontal lines: four powerful buttresses that spring up to the top of the towers, lifting them
heavenwards. They symbolically let us know that this cathedral-church was built for God. two wide horizontal strips seem
to bring the building back down to our mortal earth. This cathedral-church is also a cathedral for men. Its dimensions are
impressive: - 41 m wide - 43 m high up to the base of the towers - 63 m up to the top of the towers
184.108.40.206 A look at its symbolism could help us understand the meaning of the façade: - the square stands for created, limited
space. - the circle stands for the boundless, the perfect figure without beginning or end, the image of God. God’s world
breaking into the created world, God becoming man. That is the mystery of the Incarnation. The heads of the Virgin and
Jesus fall directly into the centre of the West rose window. Mary’s acceptance allowed God, as Jesus, to come into the
mortal world, and Mary presents her Son to the city.
220.127.116.11.1 At the centre of the façade, near the gallery of the Virgin, a large rose measuring 9.60 m in diameter, stands at the
centre of the façade, forming a halo above a statue of the Virgin with Child between two angels. On the right and the
left, there are statues of Adam and Eve, which remind us of original sin. These statues were rebuilt by Viollet-le-Duc in
the 19th century. Under the balustrade, there is a wide horizontal frieze, the gallery of kings, a row of 28 statues
representing 28 generations of kings of Judah, descendants of Jesse and ancestors of Mary and Jesus. This part of the
façade shows that Mary, a mortal woman born of the human race, gave birth to Jesus, who was both man and God.
These painted statues were added to the cathedral in the first third of the 13th century and quickly became familiar
representations of the kings of France. From 1284 onwards, they were presented in this way. And this tradition will
last, this is why it was destructed in the Revolution
18.104.22.168.1.1 On the lower level, under the gallery of kings, there are three large portals which are not exactly identical.The central
portal, known as the Portal of the Last Judgement, is taller and wider than the others, the Portal of Saint Anne (to the
right, or the south) and the Portal of the Virgin (to the left and the North). The latter portal is topped by a triangular
gable*. These portals are decorated with a multitude of characters and surrounded by the jambs* featuring large
statues which were restored in the 19th century by Viollet-le-Duc.
22.214.171.124.1.1.1 The buttresses feature niches that house four statues restored by Viollet-le-Duc’s workshop. The left (North) buttress
depicts the deacon Saint Stephen, the right (South) buttress shows a bishop, most likely Saint Denis, and the
buttresses on the sides of the central portal portray two allegories, the Synagogue on the right and the Church on the
left. This façade springs directly up from the ground, serving as a masterpiece of balance and harmony
5.1 The three rosettes Notre-Dame de Paris are one of the
greatest masterpieces of Christianity. The South Rose
Window was a gift from the king Saint Louis. It was
designed by Jean de Chelles and Pierre de
Montreuil1260 as a counterpoint to the North Rose
Window, which was built in 1250. Like its north sister,
the South Rose Window reached 12.90 metres in
diameter and, if you include its bay, a total height of
nearly 19 metres.
6 The Portal of the
6.1 It represents the Last Judgement as described in the
Gospel of Saint Matthew.
7 The Portal of Saint Anne
7.1 Its tympanum* reuses another tympanum made fifty
years earlier for another cathedral (the former Saint
Stephen’s cathedral). In its centre, there is a
magnificent Virgin with Child in the Romanesque styl
8 The Portal of the Virgin
8.1 it depicts the death of Mary, her ascension into
Heaven and her coronation as Queen of the Heavens
9 The Bells
9.1 The North tower is home to four bells cast in 1856:
Angélique-Françoise, 1,915 kg, C-sharp weightin
aroun one Kilo each
9.2 South tower is home to the 15th century Emmanuel
bell [/Bells] which was recast in 1681 upon the request
of Louis XIV who named the bell. It weighs 13 tons and
is tuned to F-sharp.
10 The Great Organ
10.1 In 1401, a new organ was built in the stone organ loft
above the large west portal. Since then, 50 organists
have sat at the keyboard . Over the centuries, the
great organ was expanded, restored and
reconstructed before taking on its current
proportions in the 18th century. With each new era,
Notre-Dame’s organ underwent attentive care and
was fitted with new stops and technical
improvements, although the organ builders tried to
keep the best of previous equipment, which is why
the organ still features a few medieval pipes today.
The great organ survived the tumultuous revolution.
In 1868 it would become a full symphonic organ with
86 stops on 5 keyboards and a pedalboard.
11 Cloister Windows
1845 and 1850
11.1 During Lassus and Viollet-le-Duc’s major restoration of the
cathedral, sacristy was entirely rebuilt  between 1845
and 1850 in a neo-Gothic style on the south side of the
choir. The buildings were arranged around a small cloister
that allowed access to the cathedral. This cloister’s
arcatures were decorated with eighteen glass windows
created by Gérente according to Steinheil’s cartoons. These
windows represent the Legend of Saint Genevieve. Each
window is accompanied by a Latin inscription that narrates
the scene. The medallion on the main bay of the cloister
portrays the Coronation of the Virgin.
12 XIX c Louis Phillipe
12.1 1844 Violet le Duc
12.1.1 reconstruction of the spire; restoration of the sculptures ; construction of the new sacristy; installation of
new windows by great master glassworkers; refurbishment of the central portal to the pre-Soufflot state;
reconstitution of part of the Treasury and the furniture; wall paintings in the side chapels; complete repair
of the great organ.
13.1 Disassembly of the 13th century spire; Destruction of the
28 statues from the Gallery of Kings; Destruction of all the
major portal statues except the Virgin from the Cloister