Domain IV: Employee Engagement

Lydia Elliott, Ed.D
Note by Lydia Elliott, Ed.D , updated more than 1 year ago
Lydia Elliott, Ed.D
Created by Lydia Elliott, Ed.D about 4 years ago
84
4

Description

Part I Attributes, Characteristics and benefits of an engaged workforce

Resource summary

Page 1

Part I Attributes, Characteristics and benefits of an engaged workforce:

Employee is the key to success of the organization. Employee engagement is relational. It is reflection of the relationship between an organization and its employees. It must be honored, nurtured and preserved. Gallup state of work place report: Only 30% of US employees are engaged at work. remaining 70% are emotionally disconnected from their workplace and re less productive.Direct correlation between employee engagement and performance outcomes: Customer ratings, profitability, productivity, turnover, safety incidents, theft, absenteeism. patient safety incidents and quality defects. Engagement drivers include: Quality of life, work, people, opportunities, total rewards and company practices. Top 5 engagement drivers for north America include: Career opportunities. Managing performance. Organization reputation. Brand alignment recognition. In a report by point of care foundation, UK: Four enablers of good employee engagement in health care were: Strong strategic,narrative and visible empowering leadership. Managers who are engaging and focussed on individuals. Employee voice throughout the organization. Organizational integrity.

Page 2

In addition: Having a strategy that is owned by staff and embedded within the organization. Redirecting leadership energy to support the employee. Starting with small changes instead of trying to change the world. Focusing on values-based hiring. Being treated with respect and courtesy. Many studies have shown that experience of healthcare providers that shape the patient’s experience of care. Far too many healthcare professionals feel overwhelmed, disempowered and under appreciated. This leads to high rates of stress, depression and burnout. Caring about the people who work in healthcare is the key to developing a caring and compassionate patient experience. Their is evidence that the way staff feels about their jobs, their colleagues and the organization has a demonstrable impact on the quality of patient care and on efficiency and financial performance. Employee engagement: According to Gallup 2012 report: Engaged employees mean: 10% higher patient satisfaction. 37% fewer employee safety incidents. 41% less patient safety incidents 41% less quality issues. Employee engagement is a function of good management and teamwork, staff satisfaction and staff health and well being. Further reinforce the relationship between employee engagement and positive patient outcomes: 5% increase in teamwork was associated with a 3.3% drop in mortality rate( 40 deaths per year in an average acute care hospital) ( Profession Michael West, the king’s Fund leadership lecture series 2013, Developing cultures of High Quality Care). Staff satisfaction is related to reduced hospital acquired infection rates ( Independent review team, Steven Boorman, 2009, The Boorman review: Interim report. Unsatisfied staff has low patient satisfaction scores ( West m and dawson J 201 NHS staff managemnt and health service quality;Executive summary) High staff engagement is associated with significantly lower levels of absenteeism ( West et al 2011, NHS staff management and health service quality). Highly engaged employees : Identify with the organization and its values: See the silver lining beneath the dark clouds. View change as a challenge and an opportunity. Are life long learners. Are optimist, but also realist;, they are not afraid of short term mistakes or setbacks. Are true advocates for the organization. Regardless of seniority show pride in their employer, referring to organization as “We” rather than “they” A not engaged employee: Avoid taking risks Keep a low profile Try to ride things out without drawing attention to themselves Acknowledge good ideas but are reluctant to change themselves.

Show full summary Hide full summary

Similar

History of Medicine: Ancient Ideas
James McConnell
Computing Hardware - CPU and Memory
ollietablet123
Mapa Conceptual de Liderazgo
gabbi.mendoza
Physics 2
Peter Hoskins
Art & Design in Context
Chloe Scott
SFDC App Builder 1 (26-50)
Connie Woolard
NSI Course
Yuvraj Sunar
TRASTORNO DE LA AFECTIVIDAD
Valeria Rios
Contabilidad
Edwin Gonzalez
CARACTEIZACIÓN DEL CONOCIMIENTO
Linda América Chávez Lazarte