chapter 4

Beatriz Peregrina Viñolo
Quiz by Beatriz Peregrina Viñolo, updated more than 1 year ago
Beatriz Peregrina Viñolo
Created by Beatriz Peregrina Viñolo about 7 years ago
1274
1

Description

Quiz on chapter 4, created by Beatriz Peregrina Viñolo on 11/28/2014.

Resource summary

Question 1

Question
To plant and harvest 20,000 bushels of corn, Farmer Jayne incurs fixed and variable costs totaling $33,000. The current spot price of corn is $1.80 per bushel. What is the profit or loss if the spot price is $1.90 per bushel when she harvests and sells her corn?
Answer
  • $3,000 gain
  • $3,000 loss
  • $5,000 gain
  • $5,000 loss

Question 2

Question
Farmer Jayne decides to hedge 10,000 bushels of corn by purchasing put options with a strike price of $1.80. Six-month interest rates are 4.0% and the total premium on all puts is $1,200. If her total costs are $1.65 per bushel, what is her marginal change in profits if the spot price of corn drops from $1.80 to $1.75 by the time she sells her crop in 6 months?
Answer
  • $248 loss
  • $0
  • $252 gain
  • $1,500 loss

Question 3

Question
A 6-month forward contract for corn exists with a price of $1.70 per bushel. If Farmer Jayne decides to hedge her 20,000 bushels of corn with the forward contract, what is her profit or loss if spot prices are $1.65 or $1.80 when she sells her crop in 6 months? Her total costs are $33,000.
Answer
  • $1,000 gain or $1,000 loss
  • $0 gain or $3,000 gain
  • $0 loss or $3,000 loss
  • $1,000 gain or $1,000 gain

Question 4

Question
Corn call options with a $1.75 strike price are trading for a $0.14 premium. Farmer Jayne decides to hedge her 20,000 bushels of corn by selling short call options. Six-month interest rates are 4.0% and she plans to close her position in 6 months. What is the total premium she will earn on her short position?
Answer
  • $2,800
  • $2,912
  • $800
  • $1,600

Question 5

Question
Two 6-month corn put options are available. The strike prices are $1.80 and $1.75 with premiums of $0.14 and $0.12, respectively. Total costs are $1.65 per bushel and 6-month interest rates are 4.0%. Farmer Jayne wishes to hedge 20,000 bushels for 6 months. What is the highest profit or minimum loss between the two options if the spot price in 6 months is $1.70 per bushel?
Answer
  • $88 loss
  • $88 gain
  • $496 loss
  • $496 gain

Question 6

Question
Corn call options with a $1.70 strike price are trading for a $0.15 premium. Farmer Jayne decides to hedge her 20,000 bushels of corn by selling short call options. Six-month interest rates are 4.0% and she plans to close her position and sell her corn in 6 months. What is her profit or loss if spot prices are $1.60 per bushel when she closes her position?
Answer
  • $1,000 loss
  • $2,000 gain
  • $2,120 loss
  • $2,120 gain

Question 7

Question
When selecting among various put options with different strike prices, in order to hedge a long asset position, which of the following statements is true?
Answer
  • Higher strike puts cost more and provide higher floors
  • Higher strike puts cost less and provide higher floors
  • Lower strike puts cost more and provide higher floors
  • Lower strike puts cost less and provide higher floors

Question 8

Question
Which of the following situations does NOT describe someone who should implement a hedge strategy?
Answer
  • Mary is very nervous about losing profits if selling prices drop
  • Melanie's creditors will not lend her money if her crops might lose money
  • Katherine's board of directors will not tolerate losses, even if it means profits are smaller
  • Dawn wants to reduce price fluctuations, but will need to conduct many transactions to achieve her goals

Question 9

Question
KidCo Cereal Company sells "Sugar Corns" for $2.50 per box. The company will need to buy 20,000 bushels of corn in 6 months to produce 40,000 boxes of cereal. Non-corn costs total $60,000. What is the company's profit if they purchase call options at $0.12 per bushel with a strike price of $1.60? Assume the 6-month interest rate is 4.0% and the spot price in 6 months is $1.65 per bushel.
Answer
  • $6,504 profit
  • $8,005 loss
  • $12,064 profit
  • $11,293 loss

Question 10

Question
KidCo bought forward contracts on 20,000 bushels of corn at $1.65 per bushel. Corporate tax rates are 35.00%. Revenue is $100,000 and other costs are $60,000. Spot prices on corn are $1.75 per bushel. Calculate the after-tax net income.
Answer
  • $7,000 loss
  • $7,000 gain
  • $4,550 loss
  • $4,550 gain

Question 11

Question
Farmer Jayne bought a $1.70 strike put option for $0.11 and sold a $1.75 strike call option for a premium of $0.14. Her total costs are $1.65 per bushel and interest rates are 4.0% over this period. What is the floor in her strategy assuming a 20,000-bushel crop?
Answer
  • $624
  • $1,624
  • $2,624
  • $3,624

Question 12

Question
A $1.75 strike call option has a $0.14 premium. The $1.75 strike put option premium is $0.12. What is the net cost for Farmer Jayne to create a synthetic short forward contract? (Assume 4.0% interest.)
Answer
  • $0.0208
  • -$0.0208
  • $0.000
  • -$0.0424

Question 13

Question
A farmer expects to harvest 800,000 bushels of corn. To eliminate price risk, the farmer elects to short corn futures. What would cause the farmer to short only 720,000 bushels of corn?
Answer
  • Basis risk
  • Illiquid futures markets
  • Margin requirements
  • Quantity uncertain

Question 14

Question
Given a 25% chance of a 600,000 bushel yield and a 75% chance of a 500,000 bushel yield, what quantity should the farmer hedge in order to protect against an uncertain harvest? Assume the farmer is willing to take reasonable risk.
Answer
  • 0
  • 500,000
  • 525,000
  • 600,000

Question 15

Question
A farmer sells 4 million bushels of corn at a spot price of $2.10 per bushel. The total cost of production was $9.2 million. The farmer has an effective tax rate of 25%. If the farmer entered into a futures contract at a price of $2.40 per bushel on 4 million bushels, what is the farmer's net loss or gain?
Answer
  • $100,000 loss
  • $800,000 loss
  • $300,000 gain
  • $400,000 gain
Show full summary Hide full summary

Similar

Geology Flashcards
itzel.jm
sentence relations and thruth
Fernanda Méndez
The Great Gatsby: Chapter Summaries
Andrew_Ellinas
Kwasi Enin - College Application Essay
philip.ellis
AQA GCSE Physics Unit 2.3
Matthew T
TOEFL Practice
aliking
Exchange surfaces and breathing
megan.radcliffe16
GCSE REVISION TIMETABLE
gracemiddleton
ENG LIT TECHNIQUES
Heloise Tudor
Electrolysis
lisawinkler10