Partnership and AdvocacyIt is recommended CPXP Candidates can:• Describe how cultural competency and diversity impacts healthcare•Describe the value of knowing the community demographics being served• Identify and promote strategies and tools to support patient-centered care and its impacts onaddressing patients’ values, preferences and expressed needs• Establish effective boundaries that meet both the patients’ expressed needs and provides safe, highqualitycare• Recognize and provide examples of empathetic language• Define health literacy and its impact on patient experience• Identify and promote health literacy strategies/techniques used to ensure patient/family/residentunderstanding (some examples include avoiding jargon, using plain language and teach-back)• Apply effective change management strategies• Define, describe and promote patient/family/resident centered care core concepts and principles• Identify and describe stakeholders and demonstrate an ability to network within the organization
Domain I: Action Recommendations
Effective Management of Complaints and GrievancesIt is recommended CPXP Candidates can:• Support and protect patient rights and ensure the safety and satisfaction of the patient/family/resident• Inform, educate and apply the patient rights and responsibilities• Distinguish between a grievance and a complaint as defined by Center for Medicare and Medicaid(CMS)• Identify the key elements of effective communication both verbal and nonverbal (including but notlimited to word choice, voice tone, voice volume, eye contact and gestures) and describe the impact• Describe the vital role interpersonal communication plays in the overall patient experience• Identify and describe de-escalation strategies and techniques• Identify techniques to communicate empathy and compassion• Distinguish between empathy and sympathy• Define service recovery and describe strategies, tools and processes for managing patientcomplaints• Analyze patient complaints and concerns to determine areas of improvement opportunities• Utilize communication skills, approaches and frameworks appropriate for a given situation to meetstakeholder needs (ex. SBAR: Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation; HEART: Hear,Empathize, Acknowledge, Respond and Thank; HEAT: Hear them out, Empathize, Apologize, andTake Responsibility and AIDET: Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank)• Describe the different ethical principles and how they can be applied in problem solving anddecision making• Analyze patient complaints and concerns to determine common themes• Participate in small patient experience improvement projects
1. CMS Interpretive Guidelines for complaints/grievances 2. Brown, Brene. (2012). Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. Penguin Publishing Group.
3. Clark, K., Pederson, K., & Santalucia, C. (2015). Patient Advocacy: A Critical Role in Patient Experience. Bedford, TX: The Beryl Institute.
4. Engall, Marcus. (2010). I’m Here, Compassionate Communication in Patient Care. Phillips Press.5. The Beryl Institute, A Patient-Centered Approach to Handling Complaints and Grievances, 2nd edition. Bedford, TX: PX Press.*
6. Wolf, J. (2013). Voices of Patients and Families: Partners in Improving Patient Experience. Bedford, TX: PX Press.*
7. The Beryl Institute, In The Name of the Patient, 5th edition. Bedford, TX: PX Press*8. The Beryl Institute Body of Knowledge Course: Communication: Leveraging the Patient ExperienceThrough Effective Communication. http://www.theberylinstitute.org/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=435109
9. The Beryl Institute Body of Knowledge Course: Cultural Competency and Diversity. http://www.theberylinstitute.org/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=50601710. The Beryl Institute Body of Knowledge Course: Patient and Family Centeredness. http://www.theberylinstitute.org/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=43511311. The Beryl Institute Webinarsa. Building a Solid Business Case Through Patient Empathy. https://theberylinstitute.site-ym.com/
store/ViewProduct.aspx?id=1719300b. Bust Your Assumptions About What Matters to Patients. https://theberylinstitute.site-ym.com/store/
ViewProduct.aspx?id=3397662c. Engaging Patients and Families Each and Every Time. https://theberylinstitute.site-ym.com/store/
ViewProduct.aspx?id=5098053d. Impact of Health Literacy on the Patient Experience. https://theberylinstitute.site-ym.com/store/
ViewProduct.aspx?id=6551736e. Practicing with Kindness, Compassion and Firmness-Setting Appropriate Boundaries with Patientsand Families. https://theberylinstitute.site-ym.com/store/ViewProduct.aspx?id=4051476
f. Sharpening Communication Skills for Relationship Based Care, Words that Transform the PatientExperience. https://theberylinstitute.site-ym.com/store/ViewProduct.aspx?id=3995532
12. Video: How to Connect in Healthcare in 90 Seconds or Less. Media Partners. Retrievedfrom http://www.media-partners.com/customer_service/how_to_connect_in_healthcare_in_90_seconds_or_less.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjww_a8BRDB-O-OqZb_vRASJAA9yrc59dZuOkCxhDszue8zCDVDzioN7OZYEnoYQN40hy_tnxoC63vw_wcB
Also included in CPXP Exam: Recommended Preparation References. Retrieved from http://www.pxinstitute.org/certification/cpxp-exam-preparation/